Monday, February 26, 2018

Jewelry dresser

Hey there!

I have wanted a jewelry dresser for some time, Ed bought me a standing jewelry box a few years ago that I outgrew pretty fast. I love jewelry. Brighton is a place I can do some serious damage to our bank account! One evening Ed and I were in Hobby Lobby admiring all the awesome stuff they have when we came upon a wood piece with lots of shallow drawers. I immediately thought "Jewelry storage"! I ran it past him and he agreed it would make a great place for jewelry storage. It was on sale so off we went with our new treasure. 


Isn't it wonderful? The drawers had no liners and I knew I would have to do something to keep the jewelry from sliding all around. I researched trays I could put in the drawers but they were expensive and wouldn't fit all that great. Finally I decided to pick up some inexpensive velvet at Walmart and line them myself. 


Supplies I used:
Velvet like material, from Walmart
glue gun and glue
glue sticks
card board or foam board
foam hair rollers, got mine at Dollar Tree
Cutting mat
cutting tool
straight edge

I picked up some black velvet like material from Walmart and some foam hair rollers from Dollar Tree, I had everything else already on hand until I ran out of cardboard and bought some foam board. Each drawer has a bottom and four sides made of a piece of either cardboard or foam board with velvet wrapped around it. I measure the bottom and sides of each drawer as I went because no two were the same.


I used the glue sticks to glue the velvet to the card/foam board on the front and wrapped the edges around and used the hot glue gun to glue those down on the back. I then hot glued each piece to the drawer itself. 

For the dividers I did the same thing except I wrapped the velvet all around and glued at the bottom. Placing the dividers was tricky so they are not exactly straight. I used hot glut to glue them to the bottom of the drawer on top of the liner. After placing them I also glued the ends in place. 




The ring drawer was a bit trickier. I used foam hair rollers from Dollar Tree and I tried wrapping each one but that did not work out. I ended up gluing the rollers to the bottom of the drawer, getting them in there pretty tightly, and covering them with the velvet making sure to push it between each roller. It was a pain but it works great! 


This was time consuming, there are a lot of drawers but it was well worth it. I have plenty of space left that I am sure will take me years to fill. 

Thanks for stopping by! 
Chris

5 comments:

  1. that seems like the perfect jewelry dresser! we got an old victrola from an auction, and i've always wanted to turn it into a jewelry dresser. enjoy!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! I admire people with this much creativity! And nobody in the world has as nice of jewelry storage as you do.
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so very nice of you to say! Thank you for stopping by and letting me know you were here! Chris

      Delete
  3. Chris, your jewelry cabinet is featured on OVER THE MOON LINK PARTY which is going on now. I'd love for you to stop by to see and link up again!
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative review. I really appreciate how ways were laid. Very interesting. best jewelry shop

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!