Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The Stairs: Adding a runner

Hey there!

In my last post I showed you how Ed removed the carpet from the stairs and added the Retrotreads and Retrorisers. After doing some caulking and touch up paint he was ready to install the pads and stair runner. 

Before

He used white caulk on the areas where the trim and risers meet. At the top of the stairs where the tread meets the flooring he used a brown silicone that he had used in the wet areas when installing the flooring. 

 After


A stair runner can not only be aesthetically pleasing but it can also be a safety issue. We have 3 small dogs; a Morkie named Liberty, a Mini Dachshund named Oscar and a Shih Tzu mix named Scrappy. None of them are entirely thrilled about the stairs but once we took the carpet off Oscar refused to go up and Scrappy refused to go down. I know they can't get any friction on the slippery treads so we just carried them up and down as needed. It can't feel good on their poor little knees either.

Before we could put the runner on we had to wait for the tread pads we ordered to come in. It's our own fault for not ordering them ahead of time. Even though we ordered through Amazon they were not Prime so we had to wait. I wish there had been a place to get them around here but I couldn't find it if there is. They arrived sooner than anticipated which was awesome for us and we only had to go a week without the runner.

Top of pad

I ordered the runners from wayfair. They are actually indoor/outdoor carpets but that's fine by me. Easier to clean. We ordered 3 runners to use on the stairs and a circular one for the front entry. I love the plaid. I am a plaid kinda person.

The runners came rolled so we unrolled them and set things on top of them to flatten them the best we could before installing.
I did not take pics of the pads or runner being installed but I will do my best to explain the process. He started by setting each pad on a tread and wrapping the pads around the front of the treads and stapling them in place so they wouldn't move while kicking the runner into place. Even though the pads have rubber backing it was recommended that they be secured to the tread. 


When it was time to install the runner he started at the bottom and worked his way up. He pulled, kicked and stapled all the way up the stairs. It took about 2 hours.  Here is the final result. 


Side by side comparison. So much better!


We have a few more things to work on before we can get to replacing the newel post, handrails and spindles. Stay tuned for that sometime this summer! 

Thanks for stopping by!

Easy Peasy Pleasy

Home Matters Linky Party - Grab Button
Pretty Pintastic Party

Pieced Pastimes

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about adding a runner to my stairs. You did a great job. It may have been just the boost I needed to do it. Thank you for sharing at Friday Favorites Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much! I would love to see your stairs if you do add a runner. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you!