Friday, March 9, 2018

Kitchen remodel: Planning with the IKEA Home planner tool

Related posts:

Hey there!

     Planning our kitchen using the IKEA Home planner tool wasn't exactly the easiest thing I have ever done but definitely doable for most people. It is by no means a perfect plan either. I had trouble lining cabinets up once the side panels were put on but that seems to be a problem with the program, not me. I just left the cabinets askew because I needed to get a good estimate of the cost of our new kitchen. I was only under by less than $300 and that was for panels I had not accounted for and a very cool feature we bought for the trash cabinet that will open it with a bump of the hip or tap of the hand. It will be so useful when my hands are full! The shocking part of paying was seeing how much we were paying in tax. I hadn't even thought about that but if you are on a tight budget you definitely don't want to forget that! We paid over $600 in tax! 


This is the view from the top of our kitchen. 

Back wall
Front Wall 

    As you can see above we are putting 15 inch deep cabinets on the front wall. Originally this was just blank wall. We need the storage space and had the wall space so we added them to our plan. 

China cabinet in the breakfast nook along front wall. 

Coffee Bar in the kitchen along front wall. 

     We also went up with the cabinets. We have 9 foot ceilings and the original cabinets were 42 inch. IKEA doesn't do 42 inch and we wanted to go up anyway. Our upper cabinets are 30 inch plus 20 inch on top.


     The cabinets over the microwave and the refrigerator are 30 inch.


     We bought the sink cabinet for the Domsjo sink but we will not be using the Domsjo sink. They no longer make the single basin large sink so we ordered a stainless steel one from Wayfair. It had really good reviews and we are excited to get it installed! It is deeper than the Domsjo so we had to figure out how to adjust for that. What we did was change out the 20 inch tall doors to 15 inch tall doors and when we put the cabinet together we will adjust for the different sized sink. 


     This is the view of the island facing the back wall. I am going to love all those drawers!



     Each end of the island will have an 18 inch wide, 15 inch deep cabinet facing sideways to the larger drawer cabinets. We will use these for additional storage and the space in between will be used for the bar stools. 


     This view is from the back wall by the back door.  


     Here's a view from the sink area. 

     I know it looks like the island will be too close to the front wall and that's probably true on the program. I couldn't figure out how to measure the distance from the back wall to where I wanted it to go in the center. It works for planning purposes though. Now to get it done! 

Thanks for stopping by!
Chris

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am really curious if your quartz ended up looking at all like the sample picture. We ordered it to use with the Laxarby, but... when I look online the kitchens that supposedly used it have counters that barely resemble it. If it looks like sample, I will let it stand, if not, I want to cancel it before they measure it and get a white or maybe the walnut Butcher Block that we liked, despite the maintenance. Thanks. (Can't wait to see your completed kitchen.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go with your gut if you are not for sure about the quartz color. I love it and to me it looks just like it did in the showroom. We did butcher block on the island and love that as well. As soon as our crazy life calms down a bit I will be posting our finished kitchen. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you!