Thursday, June 21, 2018

Italian Style Pepper Steak

Feel free to share or pin our projects (share buttons under each post) we would really appreciate it! Thanks for stopping by!


Hey there!

Way back when I first started out on my own I received a Better Homes and Gardens Cook book. I am not sure who gave it to me but I have been carrying it around for almost 30 years! Publication year was 1989. As you can see the book has been well used and about 15 years ago our Beagle Kess thought the book itself tasted good. 


This recipe comes from that book. It's one of my families favorite dishes and it's pretty easy to make. 

I always use my wok when preparing this. It's large enough for everything that needs to go in. A couple of things I do differently; I use a larger piece of meat because Ed hates most vegetables and I use more onion (he will eat that), I also make more of the sauce (gravy) for serving. 



I started by cutting up the meat, veggies and garlic (meat on separate cutting board from everything else).


Next I measured out the water, dry rice, beef broth and basil or oregano. I usually use basil. I didn't have any dried basil on hand but I did have some Basil paste in the refrigerator. I love the smell of Basil!


I cooked the rice according to the package directions at the same time I cooked everything else and let it set while I finished up the meat and veggies.

I heated the oil in the wok and cooked the peppers, onion and garlic until tender crisp then transferred to a bowl which I kept in the microwave to keep warm. 



I added a little more oil to the wok and let that heat up. I put the meat in the wok with the warm oil, salted and cooked it. 


When the meat was done I transferred it to a bowl and put it in the microwave next to the cooked veggies. I then added the beef broth and basil to the wok and let it boil until it thickened a bit, scraping the brown bits and stirring into the broth. 


Once the sauce thickened to my liking I removed the wok from the heat and added the meat and veggies back into the wok and stirred them into the sauce. I then stirred in the tomatoes and put the lid on the wok to let the tomatoes heat through. 


I spooned the veggies and meat mixture along with some of the sauce over the rice and served. 


This dish is not only yummy it can be so pretty! I used red and orange peppers this time but in the fall I love to use orange and yellow. If I am doubling the recipe (which I do when we have company) I will use red, yellow, orange and green and it's so pretty!

Recipe as printed in the book.
Ingredients:
  • 2 medium sweet peppers (I use whatever color appeals to me at the time)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves or garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil (I use olive oil)
  • 3/4 pound beef tenderloin sliced 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick or 3/4 pound top sirloin cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
  • salt
  • 3/4 cup beef broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or basil, crushed
  • 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1 cup)

1. In large skillet cook sweet peppers, onion and garlic in hot oil about 4 minutes or till crisp-tender. Remove from skillet. Keep warm. 
2. Place meat in the same skillet (Add more oil, if necessary). Sprinkle with salt. Cook over medium-high heat about 4 minutes on each side or till slightly pink in center. Transfer to a serving platter, reserving drippings in skillet. Keep warm. 
3. For gravy, carefully add beef broth and oregano or basil to reserved drippings. Bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or till broth is reduced to 1/3 cup, scraping up crusty brown bits in pan. Remove from heat. Stir in the cooked vegetables and tomatoes. Heat through. Spoon over meat. Makes 4 servings. 


Home Matters Linky Party - Grab Button
This Is How We Roll Thursday Party
 photo handmade hangout- small logo AGI 3_zpscbsuugus.jpg

6 comments:

  1. I love this recipe, it is delicious! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It is soooo good! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That's a great cookbook. Mine is falling apart too. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great cookbook! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I have made this same recipe for years and love it! Must admit that it's been a while since I've made it. On the agenda for next week. :) Thanks for the reminder and for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to pull out old recipes after a while and throw them into the rotation. Glad you stopped by!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you!